Thursday, December 9, 2010

SADDSD

In the Fall, I get all jazzed about canning, preserving, dehydrating, jamming, jarring, and yoga…  then the months roll by and about the time I'm pretty sick of fruit leather and about done with sitar music, the season flips. And just in time- I was about to loose my head of steam for the aforementioned list.

This gumption loss is a prime example of my self-diagnosed SADDSD- Seasonal Attention Deficit Disorder Syndrome Disease. According to everyone expect me, getting bored with ingredients and pastimes isn’t a "real ailment," therefore is not a good reason to skip work to go snowboarding. I disagree.  How does anyone expect me to do the whole 9 to 5 thing when I live here at Schweitzer, Idaho, Pacific Northwest, USA. The lifts open at 9 a.m. for Pete's sake.
Again, not bragging, but: The view from my porch at 6:48 a.m.
Just about when I’ve had enough of the current season’s fare, a solstice or an equinox rolls around to save the day with new ways to play outside and a whole new, colorful food pallet. Good bye pears, hello citrus. Auf Wiedersehen Autumnal Seasonal bier, Hallo Jubleale.
Life in the mountains.
So, this winter, my new interests include: Bread baking, planking spiced meats in blizzards, eating large quantities of tangerines, grapefruits, and various winter greens. Oh, and skiing/snowboarding one hundred days. Nine down, ninety-one to go.
Taylor-made Whole Wheat high-elevation Bread.

 So here is a festive, wintery, Christmas-Eve-Feast-worthy dish, made on a plank!

I'm fairly certain that Santa Clause would prefer this to cookies and milk.
Ingredients

1 rack of lamb
1 Outdoor Gourmet Hickory Grilling Plank, soaked over night (the hardwoods need to soak longer than the cedar.)
Rub and/or marinade of your choice.

I used...
   - pinch of coarsely ground salt and pepper
   - fresh ginger, minced
   - fresh rosemary, minced
   - a splash of soy sauce
   - 2 TBS. honey
   - 3 TBS. fresh lime juice
   - one hot pepper
, minced

First: Preheat grill to high heat. Pat rack of lamb dry, wrap foil around exposed portion of bone to prevent unattractive burning to the tips. Rub with salt and pepper. Mix remaining ingredients to brush on meat.

Next: Sear rack on grill for about 45 seconds on each side, then turn heat to low. Place soaked plank on grill and place seared rack on plank. Bush soy, honey, ginger, lime mixture on the meat and cover with foil to retain moisture in the meat.

Then: Let roast on plank for 10 minutes or internal temperature is 120 for rare meat. Remove carefully from grill and let juices set for 5 minuets.

Finally: Remove foil and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment