Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Blueberries are Always Bluer in the Next Row

It's August and blueberry season is in full swing here in the Northwest. And speaking of full swing, we hit up the rope swing along the Pend Oreille River on the way out to the Riley Creek Blueberry Farm for some evening U-Pick.
When picking blueberries, I spend a while scoping for the best row- the row that looks like there is the best size, color, and volume of berries. I find my row and start picking, but then, I peak to the next row and heck if I didn't choose wrong! The next row's berries are WAY better... bigger and bluer (Bluer? Not a word? Oh well). This leads to a terribly ineffective, perpetually row-shift method of blueberry harvesting. I can't help it! They just look bluer in the next row.Eventually my bucket is full, my mouth is an incriminating shade of purple, and it's time to weigh out. Huckleberries are all well and good, but it's sure hard to walk away with gallons to spare and a full belly. So, here's encouraging you to turn off that BlackBerry for a couple hours and pick some blueberries.

Welcome to your weekend! -KB

No comments:

Post a Comment